For that reason I started a small program that helps me do all the inventory management using a console interface. It also integrates directly with ansible as a dynamic inventory. Here are some of the features:
- Add, edit and delete hosts and groups
- Add, edit and delete variables for hosts and groups
- List hosts and groups
- Show the hierarchy tree of group
- Unique color per group, host and variable for visual identification
- Use of regular expressions for bulk targeting
- Importing an already existing inventory in the ansible JSON format
- Direct use as a dynamic inventory with ansible (--list and --host)
- Different backends with concurrency: file (for local use) and redis (for network use).
You can get more information and the tool itself on github: https://github.com/diego-treitos/ansible-inventory.
As always, all comments and sugestions are welcome so please, let me know what you think.